Mar 28, 2022
In this episode, I share with you Part 2 of how I support my students in moving through disrespectful, defiant, and disruptive behaviors by sharing with you procedures and expectations that I started the year with as well as new ones that have evolved by necessity this school year. If you haven’t done so already, make sure that you go back and listen to Part 1 since it’ll provide some of the groundwork to what I share with you in this episode.
I choose not to settle for having the same old conversations about how disrespectful "today's kids" are. Instead, I have used this as an opportunity to learn new ways of helping my students to stop and think, self-regulate, and support themselves and each other throughout our days together in Kindergarten.
Although I'm sharing my routines and procedures from my Kindergarten classroom, my hope is that you will find at least one thing to take away, adapt, and try in your own classroom to help you to have better days with your students.
In this episode you will:
- Learn about the expectations and routines I have for Reading Rounds. (9:00)
- Hear about how I use goal setting in my classroom and rewards to encourage positive behaviors. (15:00)
- Learn about the expectations I use during Word Work and Math time to set students up for success. (19:40)
- Understand how I use a Closing Circle to end my day and the routines that I’ve implemented (25:30)
CALL TO ACTION: THINGS YOU CAN DO TOMORROW
- Reflect on your expectations, routines, and procedures for the different subjects (or tasks) and simplify them by finding ways to the same ones across all subject areas (or tasks).
- At the beginning of the day, set a behavior goal. Reflect on the progress towards this goal several times throughout the day.
- Create a closing routine that instills both reflection and celebration for all the hard work and learning they did that day.
RESOURCES MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE
Click here to get my Closing Circle song.
Get Adrianna’s (The Active Educator) resources
NOMINATE FOR THE BAILEY AND WOOD BURNED-IN TEACHER AWARD
Click here to nominate yourself or another educator
FIND YOUR NEXT BOOK ON BLINKIST
Click here to get your 7-day FREE trial
Click here to send me your questions.
WANTING MORE BURNED-IN TEACHER?