Mar 14, 2022
In this episode, I share with you how I support my students in moving through disrespectful, defiant, and disruptive behaviors by sharing with you procedures and expectations that I started the year with as well as new ones that have evolved by necessity this school year.
I choose not to settle for having the same old conversations about how disrespectful "today's kids" are. Instead, I have used this as an opportunity to learn new ways of helping my students to stop and think, self-regulate, and support themselves and each other throughout our days together in Kindergarten.
Although I'm sharing my routines and procedures from my Kindergarten classroom, my hope is that you will find at least one thing to take away, adapt, and try in your own classroom to help you to have better days with your students
In this episode you will:
- Learn the mindset shift that I made when thinking about my students and their behaviors (10:45)
- Get my take on the importance of consistency when setting up classroom routines and expectations (12:50)
- Hear about the routines that I use daily in my classroom to support my students by setting them up for success (16:00)
CALL TO ACTION: THINGS YOU CAN DO TOMORROW
- Shift your mindset - Remember, it’s NOT you against them; rather be proactive by establishing routines and procedures that’ll set your students up for success.
- Explicitly explain to students what your expectations look like and sound like. Create anchor charts as reminders for your students to refer to throughout the day.
- Set daily goals and reflect upon them throughout the day. Also, provide students strategies that’ll help them meet the goal as well as be clear on consequences (both positive and negative).
RESOURCES MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE
- Click here to get my “Community Circle Song”
- Classroom Pledge:
- I will reflect respect.
- I will be a responsible student.
- I will display good manners.
- I will practice acts of kindness.
- I will promise to always do my best!
- I pledge to be respectful, responsible, and safe!
FIND YOUR NEXT BOOK ON BLINKIST
Click here to get your 7-day FREE trial
Click here to send me your questions.
WANTING MORE BURNED-IN TEACHER?