May 11, 2020
Feeling stuck or drug down by those around you? Even while teaching virtually, we can find ourselves surrounded by people who want to keep us where we are: in a perpetual state of burnout. When you are at the Never Settle stage of your burnout journey, it is so important that you pay attention to the people that you spend the most time with.
In this episode, I get down and dirty about the “Crab Mentality” and explain how others around you could be keeping you from your true potential. I teach you how to evaluate your “Top 5” and provide you with strategies to bring people in your life who can, and will, build you up instead of tear you down.
In this episode you will:
- Know what “Crab Mentality” is and how it could be affecting you. (4:00)
- Get clear about who the “Tearer-Downers” are in your life that could be keeping you stuck! (7:20)
- Understand how to evaluate your “Top 5” by asking yourself key questions. (10:29)
- Get strategies to know how to back away from those that are bringing you down. (13:17)
- Understand why “Builder-Uppers” are so important. (14:10)
- Get strategies on how to locate “Builder-Uppers” to bring into your life. (16:10)
QUESTIONS TO ASK YOURSELF TO EVALUATE YOUR “TOP 5”
- When I open up to ask for help, do they start to explain how much worse they have it? OR when I open up and ask for help, do they focus on the solutions to the problems that are surrounding me?
- Do they make me feel crazy or stupid when I talk about my dreams or goals? OR do they get me excited and even check in with me about my goals?
- Do they say things like: “This is the way it is”, “Things never change”, or “This is just the way teaching is” OR do they empower me to think deeply, dream big, and help to ignite a fire for life.
CALL TO ACTION: THINGS YOU CAN DO TOMORROW
- Make a list of your “Top 5”. These are the 5 people that you spend the most time with. These could be family, friends, or even co-workers.
- Evaluate each of the people on your “Top 5” to see if they are a “Tearer-Downer” or a “Builder-Upper”.
- Go to the Burned-In Teacher Tribe page to get on the waitlist to join the tribe and get support!
RESOURCES MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE
Educational Duct Tape Podcast
Ep 45: Understand your Teacher Brand
CHECK OUT THE BURNED-IN TEACHER TRIBE
Check out the Burned-In Teacher Tribe here