Nov 30, 2020
Burnout is a tricky beast because it has a ripple effect...You may think that it’s just affecting you, but the negative energy that you radiate has a tendency to rub off on those around you as well. That’s why it's so important to take care of yourself first so that you can take care of those around you.
In this episode, I talk with Andrew Marotta, a principal from New York and fellow podcaster from the Education Podcast Network about burnout, empathy, and how he supports his teachers when they’re struggling.
Andrew Marotta is an energetic and enthusiastic leader who has put his positive imprint on his beloved Port Jervis HS, in Port Jervis, NY. With the release of his first book, “The Principal: Surviving and Thriving”, Andrew is expanding his impact on the educational leadership community.
In this episode you will:
- Get Andrew’s strategies for burnout. (13:40)
- Understand the importance of having empathy and strengthening relationships. (19:00)
- Understand the power that gratitude has on leading you out of burnout. (24:20) Know when to embrace the “keep rolling” mindset and when you need to change it up. (29:00)
CALL TO ACTION: THINGS YOU CAN DO TOMORROW
- Start a gratitude practice. Where your thoughts go, energy flows - when you start being intentional and looking for the good throughout your day, you will find yourself embracing a more positive mindset.
- Determine who your people are. Think about who it is you would like to serve. Is it your students? Your children? Spouse? Then focus your attention and be intentional about doing things to strengthen that relationship.
- Assess your teacher brand by asking yourself “If they didn’t have to be here, would they?” Reflect on your actions and the things that you say. Do they match up with the vibe you want to emanate?
FIND OUR GUEST
Education leadership and beyond
OUR GUEST’S RESOURCES
Andrew’s website: https://andrewmarotta.com/
Andrew’s book: The Principal: Surviving and Thriving
OTHER RESOURCES MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE
The Empathy Film
Joe Maratta Marathon
Teach Like A Pirate
WANTING MORE BURNED-IN TEACHER?