Nov 04, 2019
This episode is all about reflection and then action. Dear teacher, your journey out of burnout starts with deciding that you refuse to sit inside of your challenges and that you are capable and worthy of finding solutions, so you can move on to a happier and more fulfilled life. However, in order to act, you first have to get clear on what's truly challenging you and why. That's what today's episode is all about: Reflecting on your challenges.
Here are the six steps you can take to reflect on what is truly challenging you and how you can begin to find solutions to those challenges:
- Make two lists: one for personal challenges and the other for professional challenges.
- Now ask yourself, “Why? Why is this challenge a challenge to me?”
- Ask yourself “Why?” as often as you need to for each challenge and then ask “Can I or Can’t I truly control this?"
- Highlight, circle, or somehow group together related challenges.
- For those challenges that you can control, write down all possible solutions to those challenges. And don’t hold back. Dream big. There are a number of possible solutions to one challenge in any situation.
- Physically sit inside of your challenges and then your solutions to enlighten you on how staying inside one or the other will affect your future.
CALL TO ACTION: THINGS THAT YOU CAN DO TOMORROW
- Take the Teacher Burn-out Quiz and then get the Teacher Burnout Cheat Sheet so you can name your burnout and start taking targeted action out of burnout! Remember, when you can name it, you can tame it!
- Journal about all the things that are challenging you in both your personal and professional life. Get all those challenges out of your brain and on paper to free up your mind space.
- Continue the journal entry by answering the question "Why?" for each of those challenges to get to the heart to the real reason you have those challenges so you can start to seek solutions.
RESOURCES MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE
Teacher Burnout Quiz
Find Your Why TED Talk
Find Your Why Book
Ep 34: Turn Classroom Management into Classroom Connection with Dr. Tim Elmore
Ep 28: Dr. Lori Desautels Helps Us Co-Regulate Ourselves and Our Students
Agents of Change
BIT PODCAST FREEBIE
Download your BIT Podcast Freebie (Chapter 3 of my eBook) at www.burnedinteacher.com/reflect.
BRING ME TO YOUR SCHOOL
BIT Keynote Speaker Information
JOIN THE BURNED-IN TEACHER COMMUNITY
The Burned-In Teacher Facebook Community
WANTING MORE BURNED-IN TEACHER?