Jan 25, 2021
Many teachers that I work with and talk to identify themselves as “people pleasers”. These people work hard during their day to make sure that everyone they encounter is happy because they believe that, if the people around them are happy, they will be too. What they don't understand is that this thought pattern can keep them from reaching their goals and living their best life because they are too worried about making sure everyone around them is “happy”.
In this episode, I talk with you about people-pleasing and how it leads to feelings of apathy, frustration, and eventually burnout. I’ll share with you the signs and symptoms of being a people-pleaser and give you strategies for how you can stop the “disease to please” that keeps you feeling stuck. I’ll give you actionable steps that you can use to break habits that you’ve created for yourself around people-pleasing to avoid burnout.
In this episode you will:
- Hear Amber’s people-pleasing story and understand that, if the people around you see no boundaries, there will be no boundaries. (5:00)
- Understand how people-pleasing keeps you from reaching your true potential. (11:20)
- Know how people-pleasing relates to burnout and how you can “turn off the key”. (13:20)
- Learn how to identify if you are a people pleaser. (14:20)
- Understand the cause and effect of people-pleasing. (16:00)
- Get strategies to combat people-pleasing tendencies and know how to stop them from taking over your thoughts and actions (18:00)
CALL TO ACTION: THINGS YOU CAN DO TOMORROW
- Identify your people - Know who you want to serve personally and professionally.
- Identify your core values - This will help you identify how and why you serve your people.
- List all of your commitments - Seeing all of your commitments will help you determine which ones you want to say “yes” and “no” to.
RESOURCES MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE
WANTING MORE BURNED-IN TEACHER?